Post Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV refers to the use of a combination of antiretroviral drugs to prevent HIV infection in persons at risk. Risk factors include: Needle stick injury, Sexual assault.
- Must be commenced within 72 hrs of exposure- earlier is better
- Are not indicated if the source patient is HIV Negative
- Are not indicated if the person exposed is already HIV positive
- Are indicated for exposure to an unknown source or a known HIV positive source
- Are not indicated for exposure to