These are the basic steps you should know for using a male condom. Only condoms made out of latex protect against HIV.
Steps to use a male condom:
1. Look at the condom package and check the date to make sure it is still good and that the package does not have any damage.
2. Open the packet on one side and take the condom out. Do not use your teeth to open the package.
3. Pinch the tip of the condom to keep a little space at the tip. This will hold the semen and prevent the condom from breaking.
4. Hold the condom so that the tip is facing up and it can be rolled down the penis.
5. Put it on the tip of an erect (hard) penis (only use condoms on an erect penis) and unroll it down to the bottom of the penis.
6. After ejaculation (coming), hold the rim of the condom while the man removes his penis without spilling the semen. The penis must be removed while it is still hard to make sure the condom does not fall off.
7. Remove the condom and tie it in a knot to avoid spilling. Throw it away in a latrine or bury it.
8. Use a new, single condom every time!
Also, it is important to:
- Use only lubricants made out of water (not oils).
- Store condoms in a cool, dry place, out of the sun. Do not keep them in a wallet.
- Do not use condoms that seem to be sticky, a strange color or damaged in any way. Throw them away.
- The Comprehensive Peer Educator Training Curriculum: Trainer Manual International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs, Columbia University